Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hong Kong noodle with seafood

Sometimes I'll buy a $20 bag of big Atlantic sea scallops at Costco. With this dreadful oil spill polluting the ocean for the foreseeable future, it might be a long time before we see these huge guys again, so I decided to splurge yesterday. You won't be surprised to hear that I dole them out frugally, so we have several special meals from that one bag.

On our dim sum lunch outings in the International District, I've enjoyed a simple dish called "Hong Kong noodle." The very thin noodles are fried quickly in a big, extremely hot wok. The leaping flames and well-seasoned pan (they are never washed) give the dish a distinctive taste the Chinese call "fire of the wok." This is hard to reproduce in a home kitchen, but with the right ingredients you can still throw together something tasty with these thin egg noodles.
As they say, the secret is in the sauce. I mix up dashes of soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin, and sweet Mirin wine to taste. This is a powerful brew, so also a bit of water or broth to dilute it down.
I chop some vegetables, fry them lightly, and set aside.
Then I brown the scallops and shrimp quickly.
Finally, I combine everything: seafood, cooked noodles, vegetables and sauce, and heat over high. I learned this method in the New York Times cooking supplement, where they have a way of making easy things harder than they should be. But the "separate frying" method makes a better stir-fry.

I've worn out many "woks" over the years, but finally banished Teflon from the kitchen. Now I have a plain, carbon steel one that heats up like lightening on my Viking range. It was pre-seasoned (whatever that means) but doesn't stick, even though I wash it.

No comments:

Post a Comment