Tuesday, March 9, 2010

White hyacinths and snow

No, that's not horse dandruff on Sizzle's head; we had a snow shower at the barn yesterday. Neither of us liked it much, after our (almost) 60 degree day on Saturday. And this morning, the sun is coming up on a frosty white world.
Well, that's spring. After I spread my bucket of horse "compost" in the garden yesterday, I picked these hyacinths. My favorite spring flower. And here's some lines from a poem I always think of at hyacinth time:

You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
They called me the hyacinth girl.

Yet when we came back, late from the hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and you hair wet,
I could not
speak, and my eyes failed,
I was neither
living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.


from "The Waste Land"
T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment