Friday, March 5, 2010

Black gold

Yes, that would be horse manure. And this is the homemade kind-- composted and pulverized over the winter by our own horses. The nice barn manager said I could haul some out of the stall turn-outs this spring, so I've been showing up with my blue tub in the back of the car. It's heavy work, but worth the trouble if you've every paid $3.95 for a bag of inferior "cow" stuff at the garden store. I shovel the precious mulch around my favorite plants, and cultivate it in.

John came home from work and asked what that smell was? It's the smell of heaven...
Speaking of heaven, look how much hair I brushed off Sizzle in just a few minutes. It must feel good, and I've never seen her shed so fast in the spring. No turning the calendar back now, the horses have spoken. Horsehair sweater, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment