Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Birthdays and surprises

The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold,

We cannot cage the minute

Within its cage of gold.

Louis MacNeice

Spring turned her back on Seattle this week. There's heavy snow in the mountains and cold rain in the lowlands. The tulips, daffodils and hyacinths are shivering, but no matter-- they'll just last longer outside. Today is my birthday, and I stayed in bed with a heating pad feeling sorry for myself until 7:30. Enough! Get over it...

As a wonderful surprise for my birthday, Amanda, Tom and Nova arrive this afternoon, and plan to stay into next week. What could be a better gift for Grandma than to seeing her little Nova? Rumor has it she is just starting to crawl. Tom is also going to tackle a long overdue painting project, which will brighten the old house and our spirits. Having a professional painter for a son-in-law is a fine thing. I spend yesterday pulling down hundreds of dusty books and my back is telling me those birthdays are starting to add up. But you know what? Life is GOOD. More Nova pictures coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment