Thursday, March 4, 2010

A plot of land

I have an old Microsoft acquaintance who is now a real estate agent. We're on his mailing list, so every month or so we get a newsletter with his picture on it, containing creative ideas on enhancing your home's value and curb appeal. Of course most of the houses (and ideas) featured are very grand. The spring garden issue was about "Tending a Well-Planned Plot of Land." The articles recommend the "blank canvas" approach to gardening. This means starting completely from scratch, and then micro-managing everything from there on. After thirty years of trial and error on our little plot of ground, I thought instead about the joys of "Tending an UN-Planned Garden."

And here's one of them. A beautiful drift of white crocus that surprises me every year. In my hazy past, I once planted a handful of bulbs and they've slowly multiplied. But the real miracle is that I've never accidentally dug them up, or planted something big on top of them. So there they are-- to enjoy again for a few days each spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment