Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Grammy's potato dressing

This picture is of my Dad's parents, taken in the 1940's. My! They both look stern! But they were so sweet. Although my Grandfather died when I was young, I remember both of them well, and you can't imagine kinder, gentler, or more loving people. They were Pennsylvania Dutch, and lived on the same farm in Bucks County their entire lives. Grammy had five children and assorted live-in relatives to feed, and she was a wonderful cook in that wholesome and abundant farm way. We had Sunday dinner at her home almost every week, and I remember a table covered with Pennsylvania Dutch dishes: potatoes, pickles, vegetables, pies, cakes, cold cuts, roast pork or beef, and of course bread at every meal.

Pennsylvania Dutch food has a reputation for being heavy, and potato dressing sounds like a real carb overload. But it is surprisingly light and delicious, and I've never met anyone who didn't like it. Most of my life I thought it was Grammy's own invention, but now the Internet tells me there are recipes out there, although none of them sound like anything she made. I know she certainly didn't use sourdough bread, bacon or strange herbs. She seasoned mostly with salt and pepper, and perhaps some sage, but I don't know for sure. I'd have to ask my Aunt Doris sometime. I don't know if this is family legend or true, but my Dad says she used her wash tub to mix up the dressing, they ate so much of it.

Anyway, Grammy didn't often use recipes, and like her I wing it every year when I make potato dressing for Thanksgiving. So if you're interested, I can give you my method but not exact instructions. Add it to the list of things I can't make the same way twice!

I just bought a Kroger turkey for $5, but poultry was once an expensive treat, and a turkey dinner a once a year occasion. And Thanksgiving dinner at Grammy's farm was very special indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment