Friday, November 6, 2009

A good day for mulching

It was so beautiful here Wednesday, and warm for November-- almost 60. I spent the afternoon working hard, cleaning up and mulching beds. Good thing, because we had a wild storm last night-- wind, hail, thunder and lightening. Enough to even wake John up for a few minutes! And now it's going to rain for the foreseeable future.

I had the idea I'd splurge and mulch this year with a load of fresh, nice compost. Then I did some rough math, and realized I'd need about 4 cubic yards to cover all the beds 2 inches deep. I'm not good at geometry, but I remember a cubic yard of anything is a big pile o' stuff, and a friend told me 4 yards might be about 1/2 of a dump truck. The thought of waiting by the sidewalk with my little wheelbarrow while that much compost is dumped on the sidewalk was just too much. Maybe next year.

So... I went back to the cheap leaf mulch method. It isn't fun either, because I have to cross the street with my garden cart many times to help to myself to the maple leaves over there. People probably think I'm a neighborhood saint, keeping the storm drains and gutters clear. But I'm just grabbing some free mulch (not that there's any competition for it!)

It isn't very pretty, but without a mulch, the weeds grow almost all winter here. A mulch also protects the dahlias, lilies, cannas and other borderline Zone 7 plants that I keep in the ground all winter. If the wind hasn't blown it away, by spring the rains have matted down the fluffy layer to a nice thin leaf mold. It's one of the joys of my gardening year to pull the rotted leaves off in April, and see all those happy worms living under there.

No comments:

Post a Comment