Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The return of the gunnera

As the flowers die down and I begin paring back, the little details jump out again. Almost like a reverse spring, when the garden first comes to life. I wrote about the gunnera plant on July 22, and the amazing prehistoric
"flower" it sends up in the fall.

Here's a description from the Internet:

"The inside view of a Gunnera plant is best described as grotesque. The flowers are ghastly and stay low in the middle of the plant. The stalks are ferocious with spikes."

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/foliage-plants/gunnera.html

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it is a pretty bizarre "flower." I like the strange detail on this shot, but John pointed out (rightly so) that the picture doesn't give an idea of the scale. But I can tell you it's about as tall as two wine bottles set on end. Eventually, it gets black and mushy and flops over. That would be the "ghastly" part.

No comments:

Post a Comment