Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cherry tomatoes

I've never had so many tomatoes from one potted plant-- several gallons I'm sure. With all the hot weather, many of us are bragging about our tomato plants this summer. The south side of the house bakes all afternoon, so perfect for tomato and basil pots as long as I water every single day. John gets tired of the cherry tomatoes but I never do. Mostly I like eating them when I'm working outside, and they're hot from the sun. It reminds me when we were kids on the farm, and would grab the salt shaker and head out to the garden to gorge ourselves on big warm tomatoes. I'm cheap when it comes to buying vegetable starts, and this plant was a scraggly little thing when I bought it at Fred Meyer last April. Now I wish I could remember the variety for next year.

Speaking of working outside, I have plenty of fall clean up but have been dragging my feet getting started. The days are warm and sunny, the sunsets golden and we still have roses, dahlias and zinnias. But I think we've seen the last of the 80+ days in Seattle, and they are promising a fall rain storm next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment