Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lily time

The Asiatic lilies come first here, in hot orange and yellow colors. They make garish and long-lasting cut flowers for the house. This clump has been growing in the same place for years.
Gardeners can be pretty fickle, and their relationship with flowers changes over time. For a year or so, they can't get ENOUGH of just one color or plant-- I've gone through big dahlia, fancy leaf geranium and a potted succulent stage (which I'm still in.)

Sometimes the gardener does go off the deep end, and becomes President of the "Seattle Helioborus Society" or something odd like that. (Then you know there is no turning back on your obsession.)
I feel this way about my lilies, and can never get enough of them. My very favorites are the big trumpets that come in late summer. The fragrant Orientals like "Casa Blanca" and "Stargazer"are wonderful too, but fickle from year to year. But these sturdy orange guys are always the reliable start of my favorite season.

No comments:

Post a Comment