Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Black spot, aphids and other evil-doers


I hope I haven't given the impression we're living in the Garden of Eden. I was walking around the garden today before dinner with a glass of wine in my hand, and I realized there was hardly a square foot of space that wasn't occupied by some sort of critter. Of course most of these are harmless, or even wonderful, like bees, butterflies, worms and birds.
I guess one of the reasons we keep gardening is for the surprises. Nothing is exactly the same from year to year, no matter how much we want it to be. You look forward to last summer's most spectacular plant and it disappoints. That other "something" you planted years ago finally comes into its own. For example, my roses are already covered with black spot and dropping leaves (maybe the wet May?) Usually I can be pretty vain about them until July or so.
Speaking of critters, the raccoons are taking a bath in the fountain almost every night. A few years ago, a mother gave birth to an entire family under the shed. She accidentally left this one on the pine tree, and he was one unhappy tyke until she came back.
And squirrels! There should be a Catholic reform school for young squirrels. They remind me of junior high kids, always busy and looking for mischief. From the kitchen window I watched one the other day running across the top of the fence where I'm trying to grow the pretty climber "Joseph's Coat." As he went along, he snipped off the flower buds, and I can think of no other reason to do this except it was just plain fun. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment