Other than the arbor, I don't put up holiday lights on the back deck, so this fall tree is a first. It looks pretty from our kitchen window and the sidewalk. John has it set up on clever timers so we don't have to fuss around with switches.
That's a Lemon Cypress tree I bought several years ago at Home Depot. The poor thing got knocked over by the wind, so it's a bit lopsided in the pot. I have it tied now to the deck railing with some flimsy Velcro tape, and will see if it survives the first windstorm.
On Friday, I dug up a bed of iris. What a job. I'm taking the root starts over to Carlton for Amanda's "wild" garden. They call it wild because it is filled with tough pioneer flowers planted decades ago. They discovered the wild garden coming up through the weeds in front of the house. The previous owners put all their efforts into the pear orchard and the landscaping was ignored.
We were into iris for years and collected some special expensive varieties. I'm over it. They outgrew their little patch and I'm converting it to a spring bulb garden. Yes, that means more new tulip and hyacinth bulbs. Maybe I like making work for myself.
Or maybe a crisis reminds you of what is important.
I'm getting closer my previous activity level. When I got out of the hospital a month ago, I could barely walk a block from the joint pain, drug overload and fatigue. Of course at my age you wonder and worry if you can ever completely recover from that kind of trauma. But yesterday was a milestone-- I did my old 2 mile loop around the neighborhood. And I'm back to the gym, slow but steady.
Charlotte, our resident kitchen window spider, has also been working hard. I accidentally tore a hole in her web while deadheading geraniums, and we've been watching her rebuild a perfect new web, one miracle strand at a time.
She was never shown or taught how to do this, she just knows.
Quote of the week:
"Stuff your eyes with wonder." Ray Bradbury
No comments:
Post a Comment