Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Visitor from Mexico

 

The Western Flycatcher winters in Mexico and breeds up here in the Pacific Coast mountain ranges. Tiny, flitting birds, the best way to identify them is by the male's sharp song during nesting-- thanks again to my wonderful Merlin bird song app. They like the dense trees and insects along the riverfront.

I left Seattle at 6:30 yesterday morning and was in Twisp by noon. The drive was uneventful but always tiring, so I flopped down for heavy nap to the strange and soothing sound of the river. No sirens, no cars racing by? Where am I? The first day or so is always discombobulating. 

For a change, there was almost nothing to unload from the car. I finally have the clothing thing worked out. In the summer, and with the new washing machine, I can just come over with what's on my back. 

I do all the cleaning here but my one indulgence is having Methow Home Watch wash the windows once a year. Wow, it was nice to open the door and see them sparkling for the summer.  What a difference. 

This is the last week of school for the girls. In the fall, Nova goes to 10th grade and Maya is in 6th, which is middle school here and a big change. On Thursday, there's a 5th grade graduation for kids and families that sounds like fun. Amanda is studying for her board exam, on the final step for this degree. Everyone is busy. I'm just planning to hang out for a few days. No smoke, no heat-- perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment