Monday, April 22, 2024

The finest hour



"The finest hour that I have seen Is the one that comes between The edge of night and the break of day It's when the darkness rolls away."
 
 Kate Wolf, Across the Great Divide
 

 
I had a good drive yesterday. It rained and snowed some on Snoqualmie Pass which always seems slightly offensive this late in April.  Just give it up, will you?
 
Sunday morning is my favorite time to travel east. There are few trucks on the road and most of the traffic is headed back toward the big cites on the west side. 
 
This is when the huge RV's suddenly appear on the roads, and everyone seems in a frantic rush to get from point A to point B. The North Cascade Highway reopened, so tourist season truly begins. I have to hand it to those senior citizens, towing an RV as big as tractor trailer truck. And going 80 miles a hour, at that.
 
The only negative was our favorite pit stop, Lone Pine, is closed on Sundays. I stopped at a convenience store to buy a soda and eat my sandwich at a picnic table in back, where someone decided to half-bury a giant tire in the field. Not the same as sitting by koi pond and fountain at the Lone Pine picnic area. Not to mention, the fruit smoothies.

A busy week is shaping up here, which I'll fill you in on as it progresses. For now I'm going to watch the sun come up from behind Mill Hill. 



No comments:

Post a Comment