Monday, April 15, 2024

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

 

Apple products are basically a closed ecosystem, which is both good and bad. People love or hate them. Users are pretty much expected to use Apple's software, and Apple takes the middle ground on customization and features attempting to please everyone (the Photos app is a good example) which some say results in mediocrity. The strategy works, because Apple has a cult following. 

Here's the biggest advantage: You bring your shiny new toy home and turn it on, it says hello, then sets itself up and works seamlessly with every Apple product you own. Same family, and they all get along just dandy. 

I put off getting a new laptop long as possible. My switch from PC to Mac 10 years ago was pretty bumpy, but we've come a long way since then. Using Migration Assistant, within 3 hours everything was copied from my old MacBook Pro to the new. 

And I mean everything: settings, favorites, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. When I turned it on, the screen was the same as my old, except better. 

John had to listen to me fretting during the process, but other than that, my personal tech assistant got off easy!

It needs a few tweaks, but what a difference in speed and features. At the same time, everything is familiar enough not to be intimidating. Mission accomplished.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment