Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Good friends

 

We took the kids to the Winthrop Rink yesterday and I skated with my friend Karen for the first time in over 30 years. Very carefully indeed, as the nearest emergency room is 50 miles away. Being in Twisp with a sprained ankle and no car is unappealing to say the least. But when do I ever get the chance to skate? I couldn't pass it up.

It was pretty exciting and Apple Watch must have been extremely confused-- creeping along at a walking snail's pace with a heart rate like I was running a marathon! 

Once I was a fearless ice skater and skier, but as we get older we tend to become more cautious, or perhaps just gain common sense. Anyway, once I started to relax it went pretty well other than the rented skates pinched my toes. Karen and I had a good time as always--we are very compatible and have much in common.

 
She is also the grandma of Maya's best friend since preschool. What a nice connection for us.
 
The only other news is the incoming weather. Yesterday was downright spring-like with melting puddles of snow, but we're about to make an abrupt change to polar temperatures. 
 
Thursday will be the coldest day this week, down to about zero. Fortunately the house is well insulated. We keep the thermostat at 55 when we're away, and once the initial chill is off it stays cozy and warm although you hear the electric furnace cycling on and off around the clock. Wood heat would be much nicer, but not really feasible in this house. Carefree summer days and open windows still a long time away.


1 comment:

  1. We could check out the Kraken iceplex together - the NW Hospital ER is a mere 1 mile from there ;-)

    ReplyDelete