Thursday, January 19, 2023

My, oh my

Carne asada for dinner last night and it was as good as it looks. Sometimes things come together in the kitchen more or less by accident. I bought a sale package of weird thin cut sirloin, and brushed it with olive oil mixed with a bit of fajita seasoning from the packet. A little of that stuff goes a long way. 

It only took about 4 minutes to flash fry in the cast iron skillet. Homemade pinto beans from the freezer, peppers and onions and tortillas made feast for a working night. Everyone was happy.

I'm getting a routine going on my Cafe shift, although I still make the occasional mistake like cutting the bread too thick. (Hey, I'm a generous person!) It takes a solid hour of work to set up in the morning, baking cookies, etc. but it's peaceful with just a few people drifting in for coffee. Then the lunch "rush" starts about 11 when the other volunteer shows up for her shift. By then I've been on my feet for 3 hours and ready to go home.

It isn't especially intellectual work, but social and satisfying doing something different. Personally, I think the menu is pretty ambitious (complicated composed salads, etc.) for the senior clientele, who lean heavily toward the egg salad on soft bread and cup of soup special. Old teeth, you know.

Anyway, I switched my schedule at the Cafe so I can go to the Thursday afternoon ukulele jam again. They still meet outdoors, but the weather is slowly improving and they found a great location in the covered courtyard of a local coffee house called C and P Coffee.   A wonderful place, totally Seattle and about as different from Starbucks as you can get. This is big improvement over the boat launch park at windy, cold Alki Beach.

Countdown to vacation is on, and today I need to get caught up with a week's worth of laundry.


No comments:

Post a Comment