Friday, September 16, 2022

Muddy water


Rain is a good thing, but the river is really murky with all the run-off from the mountain burn zones. Poor fish.

It's been interesting watching the wildlife around the house for the second summer now. I honestly expected this year to be a repeat, but it's been very different. For one thing, no turkey families hanging out next door. I saw one brood early in the spring then she took them elsewhere. Maybe because the dangerous crows nested in the cottonwoods, making a gosh-awful racket all summer until their young were finally reared. I can listen to that in Seattle...

I was surprised how few small birds were around all summer, since this seems like a perfect habitat. Suddenly they've appeared and yesterday I saw flocks of robins on the grass and woodpeckers in the trees. And nothing says "fall" like the sound of starlings gathering.

One thing that hasn't changed is the deer population. Last night at dusk I counted 15 on the lawn. The fawns that survived are teenagers now. Like this brash young fellow having his first picture taken.

Everyone is busy today so I'm making beef stew in the crock pot for dinner. Amanda gave me some excellent meat from her freezer. I was never into crock pot cooking but it's perfect for the kinds of meals we have here and I don't have to be tied to the stove. 

John drives over tomorrow to check out his eastern fiefdom! He hasn't been to Twisp since the 4th of July. It's getting chilly at night now. Still too warm for the furnace but I'm switching out the summer bedding. The chore of the day. Then a walk around town. Meet Maya when the bus drops her off this afternoon. She wants to make cornbread.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment