Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Transitions

 

 

The view at sunset looking down the river from our beach.  The golden light shining on those cottonwoods a preview of fall colors, which is just around the corner now.  My drive back to Seattle yesterday was long but easy as it gets. Perfect weather and light traffic on the passes. With 2 short stops, it takes about 5 hours to go 200 miles. The West Seattle detour is always the wild card.

The kids start school today in Winthrop. Everyone is nervous and excited. Maya goes to 3rd, and Nova starts middle school. On Monday, I tagged along to the 7th grade orientation at Liberty Bell High School. Nova and her friends looked like deer in the headlights. 

The big school is pretty intimidating and everyone confused about their schedule. Even the parents couldn't figure it out. The teachers (who looked young enough to be high school students) were all so friendly and supportive. And I certainly don't remember our principal ever saying "my door is always open, whatever you need." Back in the day, the last thing you wanted was to do was enter to the principal's office.  

We've never grown such large, mouth-watering tomatoes. It was the hottest summer anyone can remember.

I bought some peaches and pears in Wenatchee, and we have a few big plums to pick today. The apple tree is groaning with fruit, maybe I'll can applesauce but there's no way I'll use them all. 

John started fretting about replenishing our winter chutney supply. He looks forward to doing the slicing when I can, and has a special knife (and YouTube video) for every fruit and vegetable. Fine with me-- my arthritic fingers can't handle that chopping anymore.    

Well, time to get caught up on all the chores at the other house. Be careful what you wish for!


No comments:

Post a Comment