Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The north wind doth blow


Gosh, it is cold in Seattle.  The overnight lows are in the 20's, but on the bright side we're having a stretch of beautiful sunny days this week. There's no chance of snow again until the weekend, possibly on Saturday when the Seahawks play a big home game. Now that would be interesting. 

Since yesterday was the official New Year's holiday, today is the official back-to-reality day for many of us.  John got up at 4:20 as usual and went back to work after a long, busy break. I must have been tired, because I slept 8 hours without finding something to worry about in the middle of the night. That's pretty unusual, but then January 3rd is officially the "Festival of Sleep Day."

I'll go to the museum this afternoon. Hopefully I can brush the holiday cobwebs out of my brain. I've just started a complicated research project regarding a photograph collection donated from an old cement factory on the Seattle waterfront. It is long-gone now, but was once a big deal.  The entire Pacific Northwest infrastructure was built with unbelievable masses of concrete.  Think about it:  buildings, highways, dams, dry docks, bridges.

Like most of the esoteric projects I work on at MOHAI, it sounds dull then becomes fascinating when I start to dig in.  Not to mention, often revealing my sorry ignorance about so many subjects.  For example, how could I live this long and not know the difference between "cement" and "concrete?"

My miniature Christmas tree is stored away in a garbage bag (wow, that was easy) and I bought some fresh flowers for the house, as I always do in January.  It was an enjoyable holiday with family and friends, although we sure missed the little girls.  But not the colds they usually give us at Christmas. Ha ha.

And on we go into the new year, come what may. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment