Friday, October 9, 2015

Tis the season

After such a hot summer, it's nice to be doing some fall cooking-- braising and roasting, making soups, stews and baked desserts. I think I went to the grocery store every day this week, including a stop at Trader Joe's. Those colorful outside displays are like a magnet.

I told John at dinner last night that I seem to be thinking about cooking and eating all the time!  He said that was just fine with him, as he tucked into a pile of chicken curry covered with chutney, cashews and peaches.

These adorable individual casseroles are from the Ben Frankin store in Monroe. I stopped there when I went up to the quilt retreat.  I wish we had a store like that in Seattle. It's impossible to pass up something so cute and BLUE, but what to do with them? 
They are perfect for baked apples, a wholesome dessert (if you don't get too carried away with the butter and sugar and ice cream and brandy :-)   This is simple to make, although you need one of those clever apple corers to hollow out the inside.  These are Fuji apples, not too tart, not too sweet. Peel them about half way down and stuff the inside with raisins, walnuts and brown sugar.  Then sprinkle with cinnamon and put a pat of butter on top. Bake covered until very soft.

Ice cream, whipped cream, cool whip or just plain? Your choice.
 
OK I'm already thinking about dinner tonight. Barbecue pork with biscuits, spinach salad and baked squash. I'm headed to the gym for water aerobics class or I'll soon be as round as one of those pumpkins!

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment