Monday, August 24, 2015

Season of plenty?



I'm glad I drank my coffee for a few minutes in the dark before I fired up the home media to unrelenting bad news: the stock market in a nose dive, fires still raging in central Washington, the air quality here worse than Bejing.  I turned off the TV.

Well, at least the smoke is clearing out of western Washington today, but not for our dear ones on the other side of the mountains, who are still in the very thick of things.  Amanda and Tom are home and working this week, but it will be a long time until things return to normal in Twisp.

But consider our blessings and small pleasures. Everyone is safe and healthy, there will be something good for dinner tonight and good wine to drink. Hey, what else is there?  And this hot summer has served up an abundance of shared produce.  Our neighbors pear tree is dripping with gorgeous fruit and I lugged a bucket home yesterday. There are zucchinis galore on this block. 

The plum tree surprised and delivered enough fruit for three big batches of chutney with plenty of fruit left to share with friends.  What a treasure that tree is, despite all the abuse it gets.

I've been canning like crazy this week, the best cure ever invented for stress. And what prettier sight than all these sparking jars lined up in the basement?

No comments:

Post a Comment