Monday, May 11, 2015

Sunday treats

I'm not sure how appetizing Oyster Rockefeller looks on Monday morning, but they were pretty good yesterday afternoon with happy hour drinks at the Brooklyn Seafood House.  We went to a chamber music concert at the Benayora recital hall, then John took me out for a treat.   

If you google "Oyster Rockefeller" you'll pull up dozens of recipes, but the original was created at the New Orleans restaurant Antoine's in 1899, where it remains a secret to this day. The appetizer was considered so rich that it was named after the richest man of the day, John D. Rockefeller. The recipes contain varying amounts of butter, cheese, bacon, chopped greens, etc.  And of course, fresh oysters.

At the Brooklyn, you get three of these big guys for only $6 during Happy Hour. With all the cheese, they just about make a meal.  

The poor live oyster is smothered with good stuff then broiled right in the shell.
This is a desecration to oyster purists, who only eat them raw.  Indeed, the people around us were scarfing them down as fast as the bar man could shuck.  

I like them raw but only in the "r" months:  September, October, November, December, January, February, March.  I think they taste better when it's cold, plus I'm old-fashioned and superstitious about food.



It was a beautiful, sunny weekend in Seattle. I had a good time driving around the community yard sale on Saturday.  I didn't find much to buy, except cute clothes for the girls and old kitchen knives for John to hone his sharpening skills. 

But I ran into some West Seattle friends I hadn't seen for years, which made the day.  Boy, I was tired by Saturday night though.  My FitBit device said I walked almost 9,000 steps, just getting in and out of the car and wandering around the blocks!  That gives you an idea of how seriously I take the community yard sale :-) John stayed home in the basement sharpening knives.

No comments:

Post a Comment