Monday, June 23, 2014

Beautiful invasives

As for my garden regrets, I once planted a Corkscrew Willow, the messiest tree on earth, and the innocent-sounding Hummingbird Vine (still sprouting roots) and the biggest scourge of all-- bamboo! These things just seemed like a good idea at the time.
In the summer evenings after dinner I like to sit in my old gazebo for a few minutes and enjoy the light. But with the poor laurel cut back, it's too noisy out along the street and the dog walkers and busy-bodies can peer in through the holes.  So I dicovered a new sitting corner by the bamboo that gives me a different view of our little patch of real estate.

Bamboo doesn't look this interesting just by accident.  During the growing season it has to be thinned several times and the lower leaves stripped off the culms in order to appreciate the beauty of the green stalk.  Then the dead ones have to be cut off and yanked out of the thicket, and bushels and bushels of messy leaves raked up. Fortunately I have a garden assistant with the patience to chop 30 foot bamboo poles into in tiny pieces so they fit in the compost bin.
It was a busy weekend with perfect summer weather start to finish. I hope your summer is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment