Friday, August 30, 2013

Canning is done

I was on a roll yesterday.  After the tomato-pear chutney (one batch of anything is usually my daily limit) I just keep going:  Plum jam and then plum halves canned in syrup.  Everything was out, the kitchen was already trashed and I figured I'd rather clean it once than three times.  A long day of work, but the reward of seeing all the tidy jars lined up at the end.

There's always a few annoyances you'll understand if you're a home canner.  I spilled sugar on the floor first thing in the morning and felt like I was crunching around on it all day. Then (this has never happened to me before) one of the jar bottoms cracked in the canner, spewing plums and syrup into the clean boiling water and making a big sticky mess. Which means starting over again...

Oh well, that's one less jar to worry about.
Here's a cute little poem:

~My Canning Jar~

To some it's just a little jar,
To me it's so much more.
I have to go in search of these,
~From store, to store, to store.

I fill them up and give them free,
With fruits and so much more.
I wish that I could get them free,
~But canning jars don't grow on trees.

I've worked real hard to fill them up,
And it has been such fun.
`Twould be a special gift to me,
If returned when you are done.

By- Vickie Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment