Thursday, July 25, 2013

Clear skies

Chiaroscuro (English pronunciation: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊər/; Italian: [kjarosˈkuːro]; Italian for light-dark. In art is the use of strong contrast between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.
The light was beautiful on my favorite dahlias the other evening, for a few seconds turning them into a Dutch still life.
Today marks the 28th consecutive day with no measurable rain in Seattle. The all-time record for a dry streak here was 51 days, set in August 1951. It's one of the nicest summers ever.

I've had time this week to enjoy quiet mornings hanging around the house waiting for Mr. Sunny Lee's garden service to show up.  He promised to come on Monday (no show) then he said Tuesday (no show) then he said Wednesday at 8:00 am. (For sure!)  I asked him to please call if he would be late, but noon passed and no word. Three strikes, he's out. I left a message on his phone, firing him before he even got started. He said he wanted to be my gardener "forever" but made a pretty bad first impression.

I've been stood up by gardeners before, so I'm thick-skinned about it. But I keep hoping when the next one comes along. Mr. Lee seemed like an energetic and personable guy, a real go-getter, but he was more big talk than action, and someone who always has an excuse for not delivering. I've dealt with that type before. Anyway, I'm still looking out the window at a very shaggy hedge, and back to square one.

No comments:

Post a Comment