Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A wonderous place

When I get discouraged practicing my ukulele, I look at this amazing "harp guitar" and realize how easy I have it, with just four little plinking strings tuned up to My-Dog-Has-Fleas.  This mind boggling guitar is on display at Dusty Strings music store, a wondrous cavern down some steep stairs in the heart of Fremont.
Hundreds of beautiful acoustical string instruments cover the walls.  Including ukuleles that cost over $1000! Envy reared its ugly head.
If you are a very picky person looking for exactly the right harp, this is your place.  So I gawked around, thinking about how my little ukulele opened the door to an amazing new world of music.  I bought myself an extra set of stings (just because) and then browsed through four shelves of ukulele music books.

John had mentioned that I really couldn't call myself a ukulele player until I knew Kum-Bah-Yah, and I found it in Jumpin' Jim's Camp Ukulele easy song book.  Along with one of my favorite melodies, the old Shaker hymn Simple Gifts.  This picture of Jumpin' Jim confirms my belief that sweet-natured, nice people (and of course, easy-going Hawaiians) enjoy playing the uke.

No comments:

Post a Comment