Monday, December 19, 2011

Coconut macaroons

I left my early followers with just an O. Henry story this morning, because I was busy baking for John's holiday potluck. He says my Betty Crocker coconut dream bars disappear first-- by far the most popular cookie at Boeing Airplane Company.

I tried to make real coconut macaroons once, the complicated kind, but they spread out and stuck to the pan like glue. Today I used a simple recipe from the back of the Baker's Angel Flake Coconut package and these are perfect. First come, first served on the flight line Wednesday.

The secret for a good macaroon is slow baking and a floured, greased cookie sheet. And maybe Teresa's magical egg whites helped?

1- 7 oz. pkg. flake coconut (2 2/3 cups)
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbs. flour
pinch salt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract

Mix the coconut, flour, salt in large bowl. Stir in almond extract and egg whites until well blended. Drop by tablespoons on a greased (I used Pam) and floured cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Immediately remove from pan and cook on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment