Monday, June 6, 2011

695

I like myself better when I'm writing regularly.
Willie Nelson

Anniversaries are always a time of reflection. Congratulations to John, Wilda, Dave and Irene on your long and loving marriages. You're an inspiration to all of us "newly weds." Getting hitched in the lucky month of June seems to have done the trick!

Today is another anniversary, because in a few minutes I'll click the Publish Post button on Blogger and the 696th posting will be added to Feathers and Flowers. On June 6, 2009 I remember the scary thrill of doing that for the first time. My life was changed. Soon I was hooked on the daily habit of writing a few lines about some little thing, anything. I started carrying a camera and joined the thousands of other private, quiet people who (inexplicably) don't seem to have a problem talking about their lives on blogs and other social media.

It's addictive, although there's a vanity to this kind of public writing I sometimes dislike-- wondering who is reading and why? But just because anyone on the Internet can read the blog doesn't mean they do, and I'm deeply touched that a few indulgent family and friends drop in to hear about my frying pan, what we had for dinner last night, or why the iris aren't blooming in Seattle. And all the other events-- big, small, happy and sad that are now part of Feathers and Flowers: holidays, family, food, travel and the change and loss that just comes with living. Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. On we go.

1 comment:

  1. I’m going to date myself with this. When I was growing up, neighbors used to visit over a cup of coffee or chat over the backyard fence. The conversations were never about anything important, but reassured us that we were all part of a community, that we had things in common: concern for family, love of good food, the sweet smell of an iris in June. Life was made up of high-school graduations, tuna noodle casseroles and band-aids on knees. Then life started moving faster and faster. In our effort to keep up, we lost touch. As far as I’m concerned, blogging is the best thing to come along since the weekday morning coffee break. I’m as addicted to your blog as you are, Sue. All 696 postings have made me feel a little more connected and a little more grounded.

    ReplyDelete