Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dust


There was a recent article in the NYT that said the amount of airborne dust has doubled in the 20th century. But how can that be? Isn't the amount of dirt in the world finite? Apparently, dust only "happens" when it gets stirred up. And there are plenty of people trampling around planet Earth these days. Not to mention droughts and wind storms.

I've been in a spring house cleaning fit this week, stirring up my share of dust going from room to room. When John gets home from work I'll demand, "Do you even notice how clean the bedroom is?" Well, probably not-- but to be diplomatic and make me change the subject he says "Yes, it looks great. And you rearranged my stuff."

Anyway, it's the unrewarding kind of housework. Washing and ironing dusty curtains, scrubbing tiles and banging the vacuum into corners and under beds-- that sort of thing. I don't care what the NYT says, this old house makes dirt. Two people could not possibly bring in as much as I take out. There's no other explanation for it.

Here's a link to the NYT article:
Speck by Speck, Dust Piles Up.

3 comments:

  1. This photo looks like Missoula. Home Sweet Home!

    As they say "housework is a thing you must do that nobody notices unless you don't do it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Oklahoma dust bowl during the Depression. Sort of like Missoula, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...but only the economies of the two places are similar!

    ReplyDelete