Saturday, December 4, 2010

Some weeks are like that


What happened? Not much. I spent time doing "telephone things," which is interesting because I use a cell phone less than anyone I know. I don't text, tweet or surf the web on the go. Don't look for me on Facebook. I never gaze into my device when I'm walking or driving or eating. In general, I don't even talk very much (although John may disagree at certain times of day.)

Still, carrying a mobile phone is a nice convenience. Like when you're driving in the middle of nowhere, and your daughter rings up to say you have a new granddaughter named Nova down the road. Or your horse runs off on the trail and leaves you behind. But I can also get through the day just dandy without asking my husband what he wants for dinner. Even with calling Amanda often, I never used all my 300 monthly minutes. As the years went by, I started to feel ripped off by T-Mobile. But did I do anything about it? Nope.

Then John came home last week with a new pay-as-you-go phone and gave it to me. Gee, thanks. He bought it at the drugstore for $15, with $15 of paid minutes loaded. Essentially, a free phone. I've heard Go-Phones are popular with people who have bad credit and can't get a contract, also criminals and drug dealers who want to be anonymous. Oh yes, and frugal old people who carry a phone only for emergencies.

After an exasperating hour or so on-line, we got the cheap device "activated" with a new number, and then had to figure out some of it's annoying features. Each time you turn it on or off, it makes a noise like a jet engine. There is no volume control. Well, it's cheap. The touch pad is so touchy that it jumps around the menu, accidentally opening up this and that Web feature you don't want. And no matter how quickly you back out, AT&T then dings you for for 5 or 10 cents. I was soon missing my worn-out antique T-Mobile phone, and my $39.95 a month flat rate.

Anyway, after much toil and trouble everything settled down. I decided pay-as-you-go (only 10 cents a minute!) was great, but not the free drugstore phone. Plus, I wanted to keep my old number. AT&T customer service was so happy to help me transfer over (good-bye T-Mobile) and I just ordered a Samsung phone (above) that looks something like my old one. That made me feel better. Except, it's blue and has features I probably won't use. It should be in the mail tomorrow. In the meantime, you can call me but don't try to leave voice mail. I'll figure it out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment