Thursday, January 13, 2011

Granny squares

There's a beautiful yarn store nearby, but I'm embarrassed to go in and ask them why my granny squares have round corners. I'd have to drag in my sad attempts made with Walmart yarn. There are some fine knitters and crocheters in the family, but they're too far away to pester. I've even watched YouTube video demonstrations, where a nice (but bossy) person whips out a few granny squares while explaining how easy they are. It's funny, because I can follow simple patterns for afghans and mufflers, but even the old Dummy book hasn't helped with granny squares. And there are hundreds of different kinds! It's some sort of mental defect. Or maybe subconsciously I don't want to make them.

I never crochet in the summer, but it passes the time with TV football. The little bursts of action followed by draggy periods when nothing happens and of course endless commercials. So all you have to do is glance up occasionally to see an entire game, if you want. I can make Nova a dolly blanket at the same time, which gives some sense of accomplishment. And Nova isn't picky about what Nana makes her (yet) although I think she prefers bright colors. She likes covering her dolls carefully and pushing them around in her stroller, although the next minute they get thrown out on their faces and something else gets a ride. It's adorable watching toddlers play.


She does endlessly cute things that a square granny could talk about all day-- like sharing her sippy cup with the Christmas tree ornaments:

1 comment:

  1. I took up knitting again a couple of years ago after having not done it in an eon. I decided to stay away from crocheting, for just that very reason - rounded corners! It must be a problem of leaving off a stitch where one should be added, but I was never able to figure it out either. I'll stick to my simple knit, pearl, knit, pearl. Sometimes I pull out those antique crocheted tablecloths made my now dead aunt and think what a shame this artform has been lost!

    ReplyDelete