Saturday, October 2, 2010

Letting go

After Sizzle passed away on Saturday, I had to go home. But my dear friends from the barn came out that evening to pay their respects to a fine old horse. Everything was done for us with dignity and loving kindness.

They all said goodbye to Sizzle, and brought her flowers and herbs they picked from around the barn gardens. They left a sweet bouquet for me, and I took it along on Friday when I loaded up my tack and all of Sizzle's other stuff.

Anyway, after that sad chore I didn't feel like going home, so I drove to Alki Beach with her wonderful smell in my car. It was a fine day, with crystal blue skies and a fresh chop on Puget Sound. I walked down to the bulkhead and watched the waves. It seemed like a fitting place to release those flowers, so I threw them in the water and took a picture.

As I stood mooning over the railing contemplating Eternity and other Big Thoughts (and, yes-- feeling sorry for myself) a single icy wave slapped me right in the face, and drenched my entire head. Wake up! Which is exactly what Sizzle would do, if she ever caught me daydreaming on the trail.

Thanks, Sizzle-- I needed that :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment