Friday, October 15, 2010

Hollyhocks, again?

Ever since I could remember, flowers have been like dear friends to me--comforters, inspirers, with powers to uplift and cheer.
Celia Thaxter
1835-1894


It's raining again this morning, but we had a short stretch of nice weather earlier in the week. The skies were blue and clear, although the air was chilly even in the sun. After all, it's October. Sometimes I'll see spring bulbs sprouting up this month, but in western Washington it isn't cause for alarm. When the temperature cools, they settle down to wait for February.

The hollyhocks have a second late bloom. A bit puny, but there it is. I cut the flopping stalks completely to the ground in August, but the wet September must have revived them.

I keep going out and picking white dahlias. I think each vase will be the last, but they keep sputtering along. The plants look awful, but I hate to chop them off when they're still giving us flowers. Once they're gone, it will be a long time until we see dahlias again.

No concert this weekend, and it looks like good weather to rake leaves for mulch.

Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday
Chance of Rain
58° F | 47° F
Chance of Rain
56° F | 41° F
Partly Cloudy
58° F | 43° F
Partly Cloudy
58° F | 43° F
Partly Cloudy
61° F | 43° F










No comments:

Post a Comment