Thursday, August 11, 2022

Sour grapes

Those grapes are pretty growing through the old fence by the backdoor. They don't taste as good as they look. White Concord? I can't remember the variety, it was one of the first things I planted here in the 1980's. 

The vine has been whacked to the ground many times and eventually comes back to fruit, so it must be an original root stock, not a graft. I probably paid a dollar for a little stick in a bag.

Anyway, not much new except the electricians return today to finish the job. John said most of the work should be up in the attic, hopefully with minimum damage. I hate hearing them bang around up there, and keep expecting to hear a chunk of the old plaster ceiling fall down. It's probably stronger than it looks, despite the cracks, having survived over 100 years and several earthquakes. Anyway, it's a beautiful summer day and I have plenty to do outside.

I charred and peeled these nice peppers yesterday. They are just begging to be made into chili rellenos (a once-a-year project) but I can't do it today with men underfoot in the kitchen. A big treat for tomorrow.

Happy birthday, Amanda, if you read the blog this morning in Canada. I know Nova's birthday is a pretty hard act to follow. But she was (and is) the perfect gift that keeps on giving. Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment