Friday, August 5, 2022

Shoot the moon

 

A determined, strong person could probably wade across the river now-- this area was underwater just a couple months ago. I'm only here until Monday, but it's been a rough few weeks and I'm grateful for the break. The drive over was about as stress-free as it gets. Other than rain on Snoqualmie Pass, perfect weather and light, polite traffic once I left Seattle.

I often wear myself out cleaning the house right before I leave, but the reward is like checking into a sparkling clean hotel. Of all the small pleasures owning this place, opening the door and finding everything as I left it is the greatest. I've finally gotten to the point where I bring very little over, so unloading is a snap-- a few extra clothes and a couple bags of food. 

Now outside is a slightly different matter. Most of the property is "natural" and the guys mow the lawn, but weeds in the gravel around the house and driveway have been bad from the unusually wet spring. 

Our house is adjacent to a large, overgrown lot, full of a tumbleweed type plant that strews seeds everywhere. A losing battle. It has thorns and a ridiculously skinny and stubborn taproot for such a big plant. We don't have any weeds in that nasty in Seattle. 

I'm not spending all my precious time here battling tumbleweeds, but it is satisfying pulling out the big green ones. Good enough. 

Amanda is taking a carload of kids to the water park in Chelan today. Talk about super mom, yesterday she did 6 hours of remote mental health work, finished her difficult summer quarter schoolwork and took the exam, still made a batch of cupcakes for the park. And a healthy dinner for everyone.

Long story short, I have no one to please but myself today, which sounds blissful. I'll start with a long walk along the river and through town before it gets hot. I have a big, fat novel called "The Historian" to read this afternoon.

John gave me an excellent beginner's telescope for Christmas, but each visit so far this summer has been too cloudy to bother. I finally got it out early yesterday evening, and was pleased with myself for setting it up alone and finding the moon. I know, an easy sloppy target, but you have to start somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment