Thursday, April 21, 2022

The view from here

 


Another day, another appointment. Like many others, I'm catching up on routine screenings and doctor visits after the pandemic. I scheduled everything in late April to "get it over with" but that probably wasn't such a good idea. It's much better for my stress level to space things out. 

I've been blessed with robust health and yes, have sometimes taken it for granted. Entering the home stretch of life, so to speak, it's inevitable little things come up that need to be investigated. How we deal with the what if's is the key. For better or worse, our medical system is designed to take us down these paths. It can be a source of unnecessary stress, and life right now is stressful enough.

Our mother was an expert worrier and I inherited the family gene. One of her favorite sayings was "if I worry about something, it won't happen." The idea being, it's the things we don't see coming that will get us. Well, she had a point. But how do you also worry about things you can't see coming? 

My sweet Vietnamese doctor thought that was the funniest saying, and the polar opposite of her cultural and spiritual philosophy. As we know, worrying is nothing but an endless and exhausting waste of time.

Anyway, I had the most comprehensive eye exam ever yesterday so check that off. After much flashing and blinking, reassured that everything looks pretty good, except I need a new expensive pair of glasses. So it goes.

Don't worry, be happy like these two lucky gals.


No comments:

Post a Comment