Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Day of Reckoning


 
What a good person I once was, making all those cookies for John's coworkers to gobble up in a single day. Seriously, I'm not that nice anymore. No wonder he was popular at work. 

That's a 1950's Betty Crocker "helpful" calendar for the busy housewife. Good grief.

Anyway, what's December without cookies? I've made powdered sugar nut balls, peanut butter chocolate chip, and a really delicious new shortbread recipe (pound of butter) from Martha Stewart's ridiculous magazine. 

All these cookies types freeze well until it's time to organize the cookie trays. Only a superhuman Martha (or Betty) could knock out 10 varieties at once. 

John takes his responsibility seriously as official taster, and the first words out of his mouth in the morning are "what are you making today?" I'm starting in on what he calls "real" Christmas cookies-- the fancy cutouts, etc. 

 Here's a poem I wrote in 2012. In an uncertain world, nice to know some things never change.

 Day of Reckoning

It's a holiday.
So I'll have another
Taste of cheesecake.
(John says the best I ever made.)
Some Christmas cookies with my tea
And a fried oyster sandwich the next day.
Drop of brandy while watching a movie.
Tasty bits of crispy ham
Sneaked off the fork
While piling the dinner platter.
And a second dab of scalloped potatoes
And another glass of wine
Followed by sausage and pancake
Breakfast the next morning
(Just for company, of course) 
And then a tiny glass of eggnog before bed.
And don't forget the candy,
Boxes of yummy sweets,
Especially those dark truffles.
The scale tucked away
In the downstairs bathroom
Until today.
 

2 comments:

  1. When confronted with Holiday Goodies
    I cry, in my virtuous throes,
    "Get behind me, Temptation!"
    And that's exactly where it goes.

    ReplyDelete