Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Honeysuckle


This big honeysuckle vine is actually growing in a pot, although the roots have probably punched through the bottom by now. Anyway, it's there to stay, or until the old shed finally falls down. Honeysuckle vines grow vigorously, often becoming invasive.  My kind of plant.  But oh my, one whiff of the sweet fragrance and that old song starts playing in my head:

Every honeybee fills with jealousy
When they see you out with me
I don´t blame goodness knows
Honey suckle rose...

Fats Waller, 1929 



The butterflies, hummingbirds and bees all love honeysuckle. This guy was wallowing in the pollen yesterday, oblivious to a phone poked in his face. There are more bees than usual in the yard, a lovely sight. Of course they live across the street in their fancy new hive, and fly over here to forage on our flowers. Maybe I'll knock on the neighbor's door for a share of the honey?  :-)

Speaking of a sweet honeysuckle rose, here's Maya after her dance performance this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment