Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Revenge of the Knitting Doll


This old French knitter has been in the bottom of my sewing basket forever.  It's a funny little family heirloom, although most people wouldn't know what it does.  This one was handmade by my grandfather, or maybe brought over from Germany.  He taught us how to use it when we were kids.

I painstakingly turned out yards of French knit cord using balls of plain string. I don't think new yarn was wasted on kids in those days. I'm not sure what I did with all that knitted cord, but it was more about keeping little hands busy than the final product.


Anyway, the "Knitting Nancy" or "Knitting Doll" works the same way.  I found this cute vintage model for Nova and Maya a few years ago and saved it until they were old enough.  It's pretty easy to learn once you get started, and the only tricky part is setting up the first row of loops.

You can find anything on YouTube, and several videos later I still can't get the dang thing threaded.  I'm too embarrassed to take it down to our fancy local knitting store and ask for help.  But I'm not giving up.  The box clearly says "for children of all ages."  Ha.

Speaking of that, we're looking forward to seeing the girls this weekend.  We're driving over to the Methow Valley for a visit.  Maya is turning four.  Where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment