Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Just add water


I don't use that many baking mixes, but I like our local Krusteaz brand.  This new flat-bread mix made four quick and easy pizza crusts on a cookie sheet.  I just mail-ordered my first pizza stone (everyone swears by them) so I'm looking forward to trying pizza outside on the grill.

John liked the Krusteaz flat-bread, but said it wasn't as good as my homemade yeast crust. Hey-- we can't always get what we want. Sometimes easy wins out.  Then I went back to Safeway to buy more and couldn't find it on the shelf.  Darn.

Krusteaz is a local company, and I'm not sure if you can buy their products in other parts of the country.  The company began in 1932, when the women of a Seattle bridge club came up with an idea for an easy-to-make pie crust.  The name Krusteaz is a clever combination of "crust" and "ease."


In the 1940's their "just add water" Pancake Mix was a unique invention. In the 60's, the company ran the "Krusteaz Kurtesy Kitchen" to promote the concept. It operated from this sweet VW van.


It contained a fully-equipped "traveling diner" that served free pancake breakfasts throughout the Northwest.  I can imagine hippies lining up for a free stack!


Krusteaz still has a loyal following and a large product line of biscuits, muffins, brownies, breads, cookies and desserts.  (Including some new gluten-free mixes.)

If you can find their flat-bread mix, give it a try.  It makes a dandy pizza Margherita in the oven. I'll let you know how the new stone works out on the grill.

2 comments:

  1. You might be able to get the flat bread mix at Cash and Carry. That's where I buy (don't tell!) five pound bags of Krusteaz pie crust mix. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrtle!
    We'll have to plan a trip to the Bellevue Cash and Carry, for old times sake.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete