Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A new ukulele friend

UkuleleTricks.com
Brett

I went to the weekly ukulele strumming circle at the West Seattle Senior Center a couple weeks ago.  It was a small group compared to that enormous SUPA monthly gathering, but newcomers seemed welcome and there were still enough good players to shield the beginners from embarrassment.  I've found that ukulele players like to sing loudly, and they're pretty uninhibited about it.  Of course that's the fun and charm of the instrument, because in these strumming circles everyone more or less joins in, just like singing in church.

The West Seattle group has their own big song book, and they take turns choosing what to play next.   I didn't know the book of course, so when my turn came I tried to think of the easiest song I know, and said how about You Are My Sunshine?  Yes, of course they had the music, but instead of 3 or 4 easy chords like my version, it had a whole slew of hard bar chords and fast changes.  Well.  As I fumbled along, I realized I've neglected plain old strumming, the most enjoyable thing about playing the ukulele.

Most of my effort has been learning to read notes, and trying to play simpleton instrumental solos of tunes like Ode to Joy, Amazing Grace and Scarborough Fair.  Over and over and over.  But now I have a new ukulele teacher. His name is Matt McQueen, a sweet young guy who teaches his Ukulele Strumming Tricks course over the Internet.  He's a wonderful instructor, kindly and patient and cute.  You can even email questions and he writes you back.  Twenty-seven lessons for $47 from the comfort of home. What a deal.

I have this fantasy of someday walking into a new senior center strumming circle, and just burnin' down the house with my amazing playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment