Monday, September 2, 2013

More canning?

Out of the tree of life
I just picked me a plum...

Our frugal German and Italian ancestors would be proud-- we managed to get almost every plum off of the tree yesterday with the help of this nifty fruit-picker-on a-pole contraption. 

It's been collecting dust out in the shed for over 20 years, just waiting for the day. I don't even remember where I bought it? But obviously-- invented by a genius.

The bounty was three heavy buckets-- maybe 60 pounds of perfect plums. Did you ever sit under a tree and gorge yourself with fruit?  Every farm kid remembers that. I can eat many, many plums, but I've finally hit the greedy limit. 

I pulled out all the canning apparatus again and made another batch of jam and some plum chutney for turkey and ham.  Which sounds pretty good, when Christmas rolls around. The rest go to the neighbors...I'm plum tuckered out.

No comments:

Post a Comment