Saturday, September 5, 2020

Fudge!


All the way from Mackinac Island, famous for fudge and smoked whitefish, among other things. Thanks for thinking of us, Dan and Rebecca. Seattle isn't a fudge kind of town, and I forgot about the super highly concentrated taste of quality fudge. We'll put it in the freezer and dole it out.

Mackinac Island on Lake Huron is one of those truly unforgettable places. I was just a small kid when our family took a trip to upper Michigan from Pennsylvania. I think we were visiting friends, but I can't remember any details except for the ferry ride and smoked fish.


Dad bought some whitefish from a vendor in the ferry line and we ate it in the car. It was wrapped in brown paper, and I remember looking over the back seat of the Suburban watching mom dole it out to three drooling kids. It was delicious. Back in the 1950's, a taste of smoked fish seemed incredibly exotic.  Those good (and bad) food memories can be so intense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment