Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Snow moon


Fly me to the moon
and let me play among the stars,
Let me see what spring is like,
On Jupiter or Mars...

It's going to be a gorgeous day in Seattle.  The full February "snow moon" is just setting to the west behind the Olympic Mountains, while the sun is coming up in a perfectly clear sky to the east.


I got two of the Leyland Cypress trees planted yesterday, but it was quite a job. Remember when we brought in 4 yards of compressed topsoil as a base for the fence?  That thumping machine, plus all the winter rain, packed the ground down like cement. 

As a rule of thumb, a planting hole should be twice the size of the container, so I'm glad these are only five gallon size trees. I'm cheating on the hole width, but I have a feeling they will do fine.  They look spindly, but the tag said they grow 15-20 feet wide.  And once established, they can put on 3 feet of height a year.  It will a long time before they block the view like the bamboo once did, but it's nice seeing something growing back there again.  Even small plants distract the eye from what's on the other side.  I'm liking our yard again.

I was complaining to John last night about the work, and he pulled something out of the basement I didn't even know we owned. It looks like a giant Viking battle ax to hack up the ground. The only instructions were "don't chop your foot with this."  Isn't he a helpful person?

Another pretty sight this morning-- the clematis blooming outside the kitchen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment