Monday, December 21, 2015

Humbug Day

 “Bah," said Scrooge, "Humbug.”

Today is Humbug Day, the day to let it all out. Release your inner Scrooge and vent your frustrations about the stress and fuss of Christmas. Then get on with it.  We're almost there, and I for one am so done with shopping, other than a final load of food, of course.

To celebrate the day, I found my dusty old copy of "A Christmas Carol" on the bottom shelf.  I always try to read it on Christmas Eve.  Just my favorite chapters-- by then I'm much too tired to get through the whole book.

All the decorations are up and doesn't the house look pretty?  I had a Facetime call from two very excited little girls last night. Nova told me how many days it was until Christmas, just in case I forgot.









It's nice to see the old things once a year.  These dolls have somehow survived three generations of family girls.  My mom and Aunt Ruth played with them 85 years ago.  Then my sister Marji and I, over 50 years ago.  One is dressed as a fine lady and the other is her maid. Of course we fought over who got to "be" the fancy lady.  They are so fragile, I only let them out of the trunk on special holidays.

Nova and Maya find these old toys somewhat creepy, and they give them a wide berth.  Maybe that's just as well, and it will change as they get older. But as John always says, Christmas should instill a little awe and fear in children.

For me, the doll aisle at Target inspires awe and fear.  Ha.



2 comments:

  1. We have been told sternly that Jesus is not to be out in the manger until Christmas Day, at least not before midnight on the eve; he is not born yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. He arrived early here.

    ReplyDelete