Wednesday, September 16, 2015

This is my book


These days, it seems like I'm always running across "antiques" that I can remember using. Like these "rare vintage bookplates" for sale on the Internet from Antioch Publishing Company for $12.75, plus shipping.

Oh, these brought back memories of my little collection of books, hauled from apartment to apartment and shelved on boards and bricks.

I'd bought a box of these very plates for a couple of dollars in the 1970's. The Hobbit books were in fashion then, and this dwarf looked like Bilbo Baggins.  I carefully wrote my name (I had nice handwriting in those days) and attached them to all my books, some of which I still have today, albeit somewhat tattered. 

I pulled these off the dusty bottom shelf this morning, and there he was...


We have so many things now, and can buy any small thing we desire.  But this made me nostalgic for a time when a single book was a prized possession, a treasure you carefully labelled and carefully loaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment