Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rhythm and timing

My music school isn't exactly the Julliard or the Moscow Conservatory, but I still felt like a real musician when my new ukulele instructor jotted some "technical" notes on my spiral last week. He was explaining the importance of "rhythm and timing" in his lessons. 

I wasn't sure about inflicting myself on a smart, young musician, but I liked Matt. He teaches banjo, guitar and the humble ukulele-- probably to senior citizens. He looked at my pretty ukulele in an appreciative way, tuned it correctly in an instant, played a few chords and declared he liked it.  (I didn't say of course, but I think mine is nicer than his "studio" ukulele.)

Best of all, he seemed easy-going and confident I could learn to play the type of music I described.  I asked if teaching a slow study bothered him?  I've always had an inferiority complex about not being able to read music.  He laughed and assured me that he had students who were probably "much slower."  Maybe he says that to everyone, but I was flattered because we were only 10 minutes into our first lesson.  Perhaps he saw a hint of potential.

So I bravely opened my "Four Chord Songbook," from which I'd been practicing Donovan's 1960's song, Catch the Wind.   He didn't know it-- not surprising, since the song was written 30 years before he was born. That made me feel like a hippie grandma, but he was polite and gave it a try.  My simpleton book only shows chords and lyrics (assuming you already know the song by heart) so he strummed along as best he could without a score to guide him.  Finally he turned to his computer, and in a few seconds had the original song playing. There was an aha! moment (the song is in 3/4 time, not 4/4) and soon he was strumming along with Donovan.  

I have my second lesson this afternoon, and all week I've been practicing Blue Hawaii, the romantic old song Elvis made famous in the 1961 movie.  It has a nice slow tempo for all those fumbling chord changes.  If Matt hasn't heard it, he can always watch the YouTube video:



No comments:

Post a Comment