Thursday, September 17, 2026

All quiet on western front

 

 

I had a nice drive today with beautiful weather all the way and light traffic, once out of west Seattle. 

I stopped at the usual places-- McDonald's in Cle Elum for coffee (I know, but it's easy)  and then about 100 miles on to Lone Pine. I had their pea soup outside with my sandwich and bought apples and a giant pumpkin. 


Always such a pleasure returning to the peaceful riverbank and finding the house just as we left it. No construction next door yet! The good thing about Twisp is everything takes forever and nothing ever happens in the winter. 


The lawn is green as a golf course, which is a bit excessive considering the cost of town water, but what the heck. The robins are happy. 

 

The beavers are gnawing away at the giant cottonwood they downed a month ago-- this is the one that crushed my beach chair flat.  I guess it's too much to hope that tree will keep them busy through the winter.

 My property management guys have already wrapped the trees close in to the yard. I think they even saved the one that was just chewed. The grey wire is hardly noticeable, although when winter comes, I guess the beavers can just stand on top of the snow.

But whatever. "Let tomorrow worry about itself." I'm just happy to be here and looking forward to the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment